Saturday, October 4, 2008

Kiss my Brass

About a year ago my friend Mimmu (one of the funniest people on the planet) told her Exponent friends that she and her husband were moving to Finland, her native country, and that they were getting rid of lots of their old furniture, much of which had been in her husband's family for ages. Rachel, Coco & I went out to her place in Harvard to get Rachel a sewing table. She also ended up with antique mahogany twin beds and on Bea's behalf I adopted a brass bed of Grandma Sloan's that I SWEAR Mimmu said may have been slept in by Grover Cleveland (back me up Rach).

Said bed has been languishing in my garage, waiting for a serious cleaning and Bea to be ready to give up the crib. When my dear childhood friend and doer extraordinaire Stephanie came to visit this week, I knew it was time. Stephanie can do ANYTHING: cook, build, make jewelry. She's an art director and if it involves hands, she can do it.

After buying several brass cleaning supplies, we set to work on the headboard with some "help" from Bea. Notice how filthy the railings are.


After several cans of "Bar Keeper's Secret" and more elbow grease than I care to remember, we hosed it off and began the polishing process. Once it was shiny shiny, I wanted to lacquer it but Stephanie and the guy at Ace Hardware forbid me. "WWGCD?" (what would Grover Cleveland do?) You can see that both Stephanie and the bed clean up rather nicely.
The bed is so tall Bea has to use a step stool to get up. It both scares and thrills her.
Now if only I could get her to never touch her brass bed with those tiny little fingers....

5 comments:

ellen said...

Lucky Bea!! Anything from Mimmu is a treasure!

Rachel said...

Holy Cow its a whole different bed now. Yes I do believe that Mimmu said something about GC and that bed. Thank goodness for free Mimmu furniture. I think I use that sewing table daily and the bed well, nightly by Noelle.

SLP said...

Beautiful. I miss Mimmu like crazy. B's a lucky girl...
S

Amy and the Rex XY's said...

Doo-She... Where do I get I a Diet Coke Heart necklace? I need one! Better yet, can I get a Diet Coke medical i.d. bracelet? When they find me in a heap on the kitchen floor, they'll turn over my bracelet and know exactly what I need. Btw, McDonald Diet Coke is the best. Perfect ice, perfect straw. Love YOU and love The STUFF!

Stefawn Von Gordon said...

Is the crib GONE YET???